Simple ways to beat stress

Simple ways to beat stress - Deborah King finds her groove – and reaps the benefits – at a drumming circle, It’s not often that you get to see an American Indian in full headdress in a north Essex village, but on a Thursday evening I have come face to face with one. Admittedly, it’s a canvas print covering a wall of a soundproofed cabin, but it certainly adds to the flavour of the session I find myself in.

I am to spend the next two hours with a drumming circle – the thought of which has always struck me as more than a little New Age – but, since it’s on my doorstep, I thought, why not give it a go?

Our group leader is Graham Game, a former musician who holds drumming circles twice a month in his back garden cabin. There are 10 of us here tonight. Two men have brought their own drums and the rest of us choose from the dozen on the floor: from bongos and buffalo frame drums (like a tambourine without the bells) to a glockenspiel, a djembe drum, (my choice) and cowbells.


Deborah King joins the group
Deborah King joins the group Photo: DANIEL JONES

Hitting the spot: the Colne Drum Circle
Hitting the spot: the Colne Drum Circle Photo: DANIEL JONES


Graham shows me how to to knock out the best sound – a slap with the tips of the fingers to the outer rim for a high tone, or in the centre for some bass. But this session is not a lesson on how to play the drums: we are here, believe it or not, for therapy.

Graham, who works locally with Mind and Care UK groups, is the only full-time practitioner in this country in HealthRHYTHMS, a therapy developed by a neurologist in the US that is purported to draw people together and improve mood, as well as claiming to be a cure-all for just about everything.

“It’s my job to get the groove going and when everyone joins in that’s called layering,” Graham says. “Each week is different so just go with it.”

It may sound like a deeply hippy pursuit, but there are recorded health benefits to drum therapy: number one being a way in which to relieve stress.

Many of the others have been coming here since Graham started the circle three years ago.

“With lots of therapies you want them to work, but this one instantly clicked and it’s become my musical punchbag,” says Trudi, who is drumming for the second time. I also meet Mal, an alternative therapist, and Rod, a carpenter.

They aren’t all happy customers, however. Joe, an 11-year-old would-be drummer, who has come along with his father, is disappointed to hear that instruction isn’t on the agenda. He picks up a buffalo drum and looks mournful.

We sit in a circle and Graham starts us off with a 4/4 beat and, before long, the initial groove has changed as the more experienced group members begin to improvise.

A rich, deep sound fills the room and vibrates through my hands and arms and, to my surprise, I begin to relax. I’m too self-conscious to close my eyes at first, like the others, but as the minutes pass and the rhythm is repeated over and over again I find it incredibly mesmerising.

Each groove lasts around 10 minutes and ends with a rumble, which Graham instigates with a 3-2-1. This was one of my favourite parts, as it gives you the chance to strike the drum as hard and as fast as you can – and it is highly energising.

At the end of the two-hour session I feel invigorated, clear-headed and relaxed. I’ve also had an enjoyable time in the company of people I wouldn’t normally meet.

Even aspiring rock drummer Joe manages a smile. For a motivating and surprisingly entertaining evening – with a little bit of community spirit thrown in – I have found a new rhythm in my life. ( telegraph.co.uk )

My be this artikel's that you need...!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More