Teenager allergic to nuts lands in hospital after kissing boyfriend who had eaten tainted cereal

Teenager allergic to nuts lands in hospital after kissing boyfriend who had eaten tainted cereal. An innocent kiss landed a schoolgirl in hospital after her boyfriend forgot to tell her he'd eaten a cereal with hazelnuts that morning.

Laura Kukic, 14, is allergic to nuts and went into shock after a minute trace got into her system. Her face began to swell and her breathing became difficult.

After being taken to the first aid room at her school, staff injected her with her EpiPen and an ambulance was called.

Laura made a full recovery but the experience has prompted her to warn other youngsters who may have the same condition that a kiss can be dangerous.

Laura, from Barton-le-Clay in Bedfordshire said: 'Who'd have guessed that a peck on the lips could be so dangerous.'

It happened last month after the Year 10 pupil arrived on the school bus with her friends at Harlington Upper school in Bedfordshire.

She met her 16-year-old boyfriend who was waiting on the school stairs.


Laura Kukic was taken to hospital by her mother after she suffered  an allergic reaction following a kiss from her boyfriend

Laura Kukic was taken to hospital by her mother after she suffered an allergic reaction following a kiss from her boyfriend



Laura said: 'A few kids were about getting ready for the day and as usual we gave each other a kiss. It was just a friendly hello kiss. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing passionate just a brief touch of the lips.'

Laura was first diagnosed with a severe nut allergy when she was three years old and has to carry her 'Epipen' around with her wherever she goes. This is used to deliver a shot of adrenaline into the bloodstream, which reverses the allergic reaction by narrowing the blood vessels and opening the airways.

The teenager's allergy means that any contact with nuts, however slight, can bring on a severe reaction. Her face swells up, her throat tightens and it's hard for her to breath as she goes into what is called anaphylactic shock .

Laura said: 'I hadn't noticed anything, but my boyfriend could see that my face was starting to swell, so that my head looked visibly bigger.

'Then he said "Ohh, I did have cereal with hazelnuts in, but that was about and hour ago, and I've brushed my teeth and had a drink, surely that will be alright? I made sure I brushed my teeth a few times."'

Laura realised that after kissing him she'd also taken a sip from his can of coke which could have been contaminated with a slight trace of nut.

Her boyfriend immediately took her to the school office A few minutes later she started to feel the effects. Her throat seemed to be tightening and she was having trouble breathing. She was injected with her epipen by a school first aider, to bring the allergy down.

'At this point I was on the floor and having difficulty breathing,' she said.

An ambulance was called to the school but by then the epipen had begun to work and she was recovering from the shock.

'My breathing was getting easier and I was just left with a tingling sensation in my lips,' she added.

Her parents had been contacted and arrived at the school.

'My mum carted me off to hospital in her car and my boyfriend insisted on coming with us, The paramedics who had come to the school had given us a form which said 'Boyfriend Kissed.' It felt like I was in a silly over-dramatic soap but at least I got a day off school,' said Laura.

She said teachers now joke that they are going to ban kissing in school which wouldn't make her very popular.

'Luckily I have lived to tell the tale and now people who may have thought I was being stupid when I asked them 'have you had nuts today?" now realise I wasn't being a drama queen.

'But it just shows you how something that you would think is so safe could turn into something so dangerous, "Who said romance was all hearts and roses?" she said.' (
dailymail.co.uk )

My be this artikel's that you need...!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Favorites More